As one of the largest states in the country, moving to Texas could be one of the biggest moves of your life. Unlike any other state, you can definitely get the most for your dollar living in Texas. Whether you are moving to Austin, Dallas, Houston, or any other beautiful city in Texas, you will be happy with your decision.
Moving long distance in Texas can take on a few different meanings if you have ever been to the Lonely Star State. Moving from one side of the state to the other or completely moving out of the state to some is equally the same. Whatever the situation calls for, we want to help you find a qualified mover that is right for you.
State of Texas Moving Information
There is no better feeling than being fully informed and knowledgeable about your upcoming move. If you are preparing to move to Texas, it is most important to fully protect your move from start to finish. Protecting your move will ensure that the moving process is as stress free as possible.
The state of Texas has a set of requirements thatmoving companiesmust abide by that protect them as well you; the customer.
Texas law requires moving companies to give you:
- A written proposal or estimate that shows either a“not to exceed”estimate, guaranteed price or maximum amount for the move.
- A written agreement or contract before the move.
- Standard liability of 60 cents per pound per item. (Note: This is not insurance. However, you have the right to obtain insurance to further protect your items during the move.)
- The "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move"booklet by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- A final copy of the contract on completion of the move that includes the total charges for the move; an itemized list of what the charges are for; and the method used to calculate the charges. If you decide to alter the original contract, you and the moving company representative must sign and date an amended contract.
By law, moving companies in Texas should be licensed through theTxDMV. Licensed moving companies should have an “Active” number on file. Moving companies TXDMV # should be present on Bills of Lading, proposals, vehicles, online and offline advertisements. Each moving company is responsible for participating in a collective tariff or filing their own. Moving companies must adhere to their own tariff, policies, and procedures.
TheTexas DMVstates that in Texas, unlicensed movers can receive up to a $4,000 fine and a year in jail for operating illegally in the state. If you feel like you have been scammed out of your move, contact local authorities on next steps of action.
State Related Facts
- State capital of Texas is Austin
- The population of Texas is 20,851,820
- Texas is popularly known as The Lone Star State.
- Texas is home to Dell and Compaq computers and central Texas is often called the Silicon Valley of the south.
- Texas, originally a territory of Mexico, declared its independence in 1836. For nine years Texas existed as an independent nation (the Texas Republic) until its leaders signed a treaty to become a state within the U.S. in 1845.
- Texas is big: El Paso, Texas, at the Western edge of the state is closer to California than it is to Dallas.
Without leaving home, you can get all the information you need right from your computer. Everything from finding moving companies in Texas, getting your drivers license renewed, down to finding the right home.