If you have ever used a service requesting additional information including your phone number and email, there is a chance you will be contacted by one or both contact preferences. What we do not expect after filling out a form is to be continuously contacted.
Protecting your privacy is extremely important. Whether you are ready to move or simply shopping prices, there are solutions available. Avoid the potential of unwanted phone calls and emails by creating a designated email for companies requesting call back information. Don't have an email for request forms? Here is the easiest way to set one up with Gmail:
Setting up a Gmail email address
- Go to http://www.gmail.com
- Click "Create an account" and fill out the requested information for a free email.
Setting up a Google Voice phone number
Want to avoid unwanted calls from moving companies? Set up a Google Voice number that goes directly to your inbox. With Google Voice, you have the option of blocking numbers, setting phone numbers as spam, responding via chat messages, and sending them directly to voicemail.
Here's how to set up Google Voice:
- Go to https://www.google.com/voice
- Enter your Gmail address and password.
- Click the "I want a new number" button to receive your new Google Voice phone number.
- Enter your area code and click the "Search Numbers" button.
- Select your new Google Voice phone number from the list of available numbers. Click the "Continue" button.
- Enter and confirm the four-digit PIN code you want to use to gain access your Google Voice account. Click the box agreeing to Google Voice's terms of service and click the "Continue" button.
- Enter the forwarding phone number that you want to ring when someone calls your Google Voice number. Click the "Continue" button.
- Click the "Call me now" button. Google Voice will initiate a call to the forwarding number you selected. Answer the phone and enter the security code displayed in Google Voice to confirm the ownership of the forwarded phone number. Click the "Done" button. You have now completed the setup process for your new Google Voice account.
Nowadays it is more common to have a spam email address handy in situations. Setting up a separate number and email will minimize the headache of constantly being contacted by movers. Emails are useful for keeping track of price comparisons, agreements, and costs. There is no doubt that having a separate email will put you back in control of your move.