Moving a Piano
The thought of moving a piano can be a major headache if you don’t have the knowledge or experience of moving pianos. If the thought “It’s not that heavy” has crossed your mind then more likely it probably is. If you happen to drop or break a piano, a replacement or repairs could cost you thousands.
Pianos are large and awkwardly shaped which makes for packing extremely tough and time consuming for residential moves. Save yourself time and money by hiring a professional piano mover to handle the job. If you’re serious about moving your piano right, it’s best to go with a professional piano mover.
Finding the Right Piano Mover
Whether you are just moving a piano or an entire home, finding the right mover shouldn’t be any different. Never rush in to picking a piano mover because it could possibly end up being your worst nightmare. Here are some tips for finding the right piano mover:
- Be sure to ask prospective moving companies about their insurance coverage. In the vast majority of cases, the amount of insurance they carry will be more than enough to cover your piano. If it doesn’t, or if you’d like additional coverage, contact your homeowner’s insurance agent and ask about arranging for a rider to your policy that would insure the piano while it’s being shipped.
- Occasionally, piano movers may attempt to “keyboard” a piano in order to move it: this entails removing the keyboard so that the piano can fit through tight spots. Let your mover know prior to the move that you don’t want this done.
- Some piano movers won’t come to your home. Make sure the piano mover you select will provide door to door service.
- As the potential mover where the piano will be placed during the move. Make sure movers place it somewhere where it won’t be subject to major shifts in movement or temperature. Even minor warping, caused by small temperature changes, can affect a piano’s sound. Keep the piano away from heating ducts, windows and doors to avoid destroying the piano.
- Find out if the movers truck comes with climate control, trailers, rail-lift gates, and air-ride.
- Make sure to give movers very specific instructions on how and where to move the piano safely.