Hurricanes are extremely serious. We have seen the results on television if not experienced it right in our very own backyard. Often times we think of hurricanes as heavy rain and wind that will soon pass but if you know anything about hurricanes, you know they can be deadly. Hurricane season has destroyed cities, homes, and people’s livelihood. Taking the proper precautions will help you prepare and avoid being.
As hurricane’s approach, you question whether you’re fully prepared to protect your home and your family. Planning for a hurricane does not have to be a daunting task if you plan ahead. With a little patience and preparation, you will get through the storm.
Preparing for the storm
As the hurricane approaches, you should develop a plan and prepare for the unexpected. Staying abreast of weather updates will give you an idea of how much time you have to get ready for what is ahead. Here are some tips to help get you prepared:
- Speak with authorities to find out if you live in an evacuation area.
- Find out if your home is vulnerable to flooding, high winds, and storm surge.
- Board windows with plywood to avoid high winds and debris from breaking through.
- Keep a list of contact information for local authorities (hospitals, shelters, law enforcement, Red Cross, and insurance agents.
- Speak with family and friends to let them know where you will be.